Gerard's Thoughts

Tuesday, January 31, 2006

Improved Mapping Imagery

A recent post on the Google Blog mentioned that the satellite imagery for the UK had been updated, so I thought I would try it out!

I am pretty impressed with the quality of the new imagery. Although it's not up to date (I reckon about 4-5 years old for my area) the level of detail is much improved.

Check out the London Eye for example - it now fills the whole screen.
There are still some areas of the country that don't have this level of detail (is there anyway of getting a coverage map?), but if you are ever interested in finding out about an area (eg moving house) this would be well worth checking out!
On a related note, someone left a comment in one of my previous posts, linking to Bird's Eye Tourist. This is a similar site to Google Sightseeing, but provides examples of the very impressive Bird's Eye imagery available in Windows Live Local.
This doesn't yet cover any of the UK, but I do like some of the pictures, especially the theme park ones! :)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home